"I love you as certain dark things are to be
loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul." - Pablo Neruda



JENNIFER GUZMÀN






10.30.2009

Thesis

I Am currently more than ever, interested in the fashion illustration market. My travels to Europe has further fueled this. I am excited about this pursuit; that I think will suit me; It accommodates my love of the figure, particularly the female figure, which I have a confident grasp in understanding the anatomy, drawing, and composition. When focusing on clothing, it becomes an outer shell on the figure that vehicles as a narrative, through shapes, colors,and textures. It is also a device that can create strong compositions.

The true art of fashion illustration is not the same lately/ a slowly evaporating illustration field, for what it was. It has mostly gone digital, and a digitized paint drip is not the same as an accidental one, or even a purposeful one, which will still make it's mark in a way not exact. There is more of a thrill and control creating hands on; it's a different relationship as opposed to something completely digital.
 Some fashion Illustrators that I admire greatly in their portfolio of work are:


Rene Gruau
"...had enormous influence on modern day fashion advertising and photography. Every time I see his illustrations I am completely overcome by the shockingly beautiful lines and spareness of composition. He was a genius!" -www.cyanatrendland.com

David Downton
"David Downton is the modern day Gruau." Valentino. 
"...a hugely successful career working with, amongst others, Tiffany's New York, SAKS 5th Avenue, Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Selfridges, Visionaire, Vogue, Tatler, Elle, Harpers and Queen, British Fashion Council, Estée Lauder, Revlon, L'Oreal and Christian Dior." -www.theaio.com



Kenneth Paul Block
"He worked as an in-house illustrator for Fairchild Publications for more than 40 years, drawing numerous covers for W magazine and Women's Wear Daily. He also drew advertisements for Bergdorf Goodman, Bonwit Teller, and Lord & Taylor department stores in New York." -www.spock.com 

No comments: