"I love you as certain dark things are to be
loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul." - Pablo Neruda



JENNIFER GUZMÀN






10.29.2009

Post Spring Semester 2009



I've had trouble focusing while abroad, actually cementing what exactly it is that I'm trying to do with my illustrations, almost a thesis for that semester. I was thinking a pin-up like calender, influenced by the fashions that I was surrounded by in Europe, but I didn't go any further than there, and composed sketches.


I was planning on possibly titling "Donde Esta los Ladrones," from the idea of a title from Shakira's Cd, where it was named because a suitcase of her lyrics were stolen at an airport, and I had an experience where my camera was stolen at a club, and that is worse than any amount of money to me, and also, how my heart fluctuated and was captivated by people/things/events... kind of a part of myself lost perhaps, like the carravaggio painting of mine.











The left is called Horse Shoe Dream, is a concept on a found object item, and I basically let my imagination go, from the image of a horse shoe, and it became a 'framed' narrative.



The one right, String Theory, is a take on a difficult idea, creating some readable meaning possible. I let myself go, with inspiration from Dali; creating a world, and some tension, like those two king birds, holding the top, balancing but battling, where an army of birds fill the bottom background.

No comments: